24. kol 2012.

Slammed by Colleen Hoover


Buy the book:

Author's:

Book summary:
"Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and her younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she’s losing hope.
One young man brings change to all of this. After moving across the country, Layken meets her attractive twenty-one-year-old neighbor who has an intriguing passion for slams. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after a heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart."
  
What Glass thought about it...

     First, there are few things you'll have to find before you start to read Slammed.
  1. Phone number of your favorite pizza place in town. I promise that you will get hungry, especially after one delicious description.
  2. Chocolate milk on the ice!
  3. Your favorite Johnny Deep movie.
  4. Box of paper tissues - you'll be so sappy after few parts.
  5. Something to smash against your wall (but make sure it's something you won't miss or cause yelling-fest with your mother) - you'll need it in absence of real thing/person to smack.
  6. And finally this - The Avett Brothers. To make it easier for you, we already made playlist on YouTube, so just click on the link below. Yeah, they look weird. Yes, we didn't hear about them before too. We don't like them that much, but The Avett Brothers have some killer lyrics. 
Oh, we need P. S.

P. S.  7.   If you don't know what is slam poetry go to Wikipedia, Poetry Slam, Inc. and watch this movies: Shackles and Slam.

     Now that you're prepared, let's get down to business. I've been reading and listening about this book for a while, but what finally made me read it was one of my girlfriend's recommendation and news about Simon and Schuster publishing Slammed.
     After first two chapters my reaction was something like this: "Okay, I really don't get all the hype. I'm even pissed off."  I turned off my Kindle and went to sleep thinking that I'll probably be The Girl Who Hated It. Next morning I picked it up again. And then I read chapter three. All that gushing, swooning and fangirling became much more clear. Hey, it is every high school girl wet dream! So, I've decided to push my doubts away and give it a shot. I liked it. Kind of.
     Slammed is one of those books which I rate with mixed feelings. I love them, but they annoy me. I'll be honest and admit that I wouldn't think twice about it if there weren't a slam poetry. That was original move. Everything else was already seen.
     My biggest plus was Lake's best friend, Eddie - she's the most amazing character in the whole book.
     Remember that I told you to find something to smash against the wall? You'll need it after you read ending. It was a little bit rushed and over the top - it reminded me on the '90s teen movies. Don't get me wrong - I love those. After all, I am the '90s teen, but it's just that I expected different kind of ending after all of the comments I had read.
     In the end, everything comes to this - I had too big expectations and I thought it would be much darker story. It really isn't. Slammed is a big-pink-glasses type of story about life. It will be perfect choice for everyone who enjoyed Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie, Sophie and Carter by Chelsea Fine and Collision Course by S.C. Stephens.

What Tanja thought about it...

     I really love my girl Glass and we mostly agree about books but there are some things that we don't agree about. Like for example she always reads blurbs and other reviews and I never do that (especially when like in this case some of my girlfriends recommend me the book). I do understand and know that most of the people do so, but as always I'm not most of the people. I don't read them cause I always create the story in my head and mostly end up disappointed cause it's not as good, only some manage to really surprise me. I can't give you good advise what to do, cause you know the best.
   
    First thing is sure - I really loved this book. From the beginning. Even though some thing were so predictable like this love between main characters but let's be real and say that most of the book start this way. What I like is that this story is unpredictable at some point, you could guess that something bad would happen but not what exactly. I also love how people learn about life and death in this book and mostly how they use slam for that. Beside main characters I love Eddie and Nick, this guy Nick had me in stitches few times. I actually agree with Glass here about the end. I expected something totally different after I saw that there was the sequel, but anyway I didn't mind it so much. The thing I like the most are feelings in this book. I could use few paragraphs to explain them but someone smarter than me wrote this:


     There is nothing else to add. I loved this book and I can't wait to read the sequel.

Until the next time,

 & 

*NOTE: Copy of this book is kindly provided by publisher, Simon & Schuster, via NetGalley. We're not paid for writing this review - we do it as lovers of written word. All opinions in this review are personal.

Broj komentara: 6:

  1. It sounds interesting. I like books about real life. I see You also like reading. Greetings from Poland.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Love the list of prepare yourself, lol.
    IT seems that this is a book that will effect you in many ways. Thanks for both of the review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Thank you both for stopping by! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. We thought it would be helpful!:) Thanks!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Administrator je uklonio komentar.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...